#reading “The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon” by Brad Stone
#watching “World In A Sentence” part of the awesome Shots of Awe
#listening OMI – Cheerleader just a bit of summer
“Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
So here we go again – the thermometer ink of heat is way below the pleasant summer levels, we are back to artificially-lit up streets at 5PM and who knows if today is an umbrella day or not. Welcome, fall.
Surprisingly, it’s already middle of November and it’s just about now that my little internal register switched to “fall mode”. As today’s a public holiday in the land of Poland, I feel the need to catch up on the writing, share a bit of seasonal inspiration and talk think about all of the fall-ish stuff.
So fall-ish stuff:
– starting to carry a morning coffee in a thermos;
– switching from ballerinas to something “weather appropriate” that won’t call for outrage of mom/aunt/grandma/random people, who know better;
– seeking pumpkin-inspired stuff everywhere (PSL at Starbucks, pumpkin pies at works, pumpkin soup discussions in the underground and, of course, hello Mr Jack-o’-lantern);
– buying a new warm scarf <3;
– registering odd things like that Halloween begins in September and Christmas begins in November;
– ordering mulled wine;
– remembering to take the gloves to carry the thermos;
– wondering if it’s the time to wear a hat yet;
– wiping the tears of sadness as the colors of the summer clothes disappear at the back of the closet;
– welcoming the sweaters/knits back;
– wondering if the central heating is on;
– taking just a little longer showers;
– waiting for the eternal nemesis – Mr Snow to show up.
So fall is quite alright, actually. I am not one of those rare people who love fall but I do appreciate it nonetheless: the colors, the unexpected moments of warmth, the yummy-yummy apples and the countless (already) cynamon-spiced hot beverages.
As for fall-ish, my last couple of fall seasons really did make me feel just (a little/a lot) foolish. It seems the world is going into a bit of slow(er) motion and as September/October/November pass by I see myself wondering, “so how was ___ (insert year)?”. I look back at the last couple of years and wonder how at this time in ___ (insert year) I was somewhere out there and how there was no way for me to know that now I’d be sitting here at 00:16AM befriending the digital space in front of me.
Let us embrace the last few weeks of fall 2014 and talk to you very soon.
Warm fall-ish hugs,